VOLUNTEER application form
NOTE THAT OUR AGENCY SERVES RESIDENTS OF LANGLEY ONLY.
IF YOU RESIDE IN SURREY, PLEASE CONTACT BIG BROTHERS OR BIG SISTERS OF VANCOUVER. IF YOU RESIDE IN ABBOTSFORD, PLEASE CONTACT BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS OF THE FRASER VALLEY.
Please provide your basic information below and it will be forwarded to our agency for followup.
ENSURE THAT YOU CHECK YOUR JUNK MAIL FOLDER WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS AS SOME EMAIL SERVERS FILTER OUR EMAILS TO JUNK.
How it Works
How The Volunteering Process Works
The order of the steps in the application and assessment process can vary from agency to agency, but the following is a general overview of the process. You, the volunteer applicant:
- Completes an application with their local agency
- Submits a vulnerable sector screen, criminal records check, ICBC driver’s abstract, and three or four references
- Participates in a one-to-one interview with a staff member at the Big Brothers Big Sisters agency
- Depending on the program, may be asked to participate in an assessment of their home environment
- Successfully completes an orientation and child safety training
- Is notified of their acceptance/non-acceptance
- If accepted as a volunteer mentor, signs an agreement of confidentiality
The Matching Process
Similar to the application and assessment process, the matching process can vary from agency to agency and from program to program, but in general:
- The caseworker, now familiar with the volunteer and the children and youth waiting to be matched, discusses a potential match with the volunteer, the child or youth, and, depending on the program, with the family
- For community based mentors, a pre-match introduction meeting is scheduled for the volunteer and Little’s parent/guardian to ensure a good fit before being introduced to the Little
- The caseworker arranges for a meeting between the child or youth, the volunteer mentor, and often the parent or guardian
If everyone agrees, the match can begin!