Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds
Go Girls! is a group mentoring program for girls grades 4 – 7 (age requirement may vary depending on location of program) that focusses on physical activity, balanced eating and self-esteem. The single, most important goal of the program is to positively shape the lives of young women and girls by helping them build a positive self-image – setting them on a path to reach their full potential in life.
The Go Girls! program consists of seven mentoring sessions, held over an 8-week period, after school within school facilities. Each 2-hour-long session is loosely structured around four themes: physical activity, healthy eating, self-esteem, and communication skills.
The program strives to do the following:
- Create appreciation for the benefits of an active, healthy lifestyle
- Build understanding of what constitutes healthy eating habits and the risks associated with eating disorders
- Promote the importance of positive mental health and regular physical activity
- Encourage awareness of core values, personal interests, strengths and attributes
- Support the development of leadership and life skills
- Offer guidance in establishing and maintaining friendships
- Have mentors make a difference while having fun
- Children grades 4 – 7 (age may vary depending on location of program)
- Applicant must live in the Township or City of Langley.
- Programs occur at partner school grounds or at local community centres.
- Participants will learn about active living, balanced eating, and positive self-image.
- Participants will commit to attending weekly 2-hour sessions for 8 weeks
- Age requirement: 16+
- Applicant must live, work, or go to school in the Township or City of Langley.
- Volunteers must have a positive attitude towards active living, balanced eating, and positive self-image.
- Applicants must commit to attending weekly 2-hour sessions for 8 weeks