Eat Smart, Play Smart!
Game On! is a group mentoring program that provides boys ages 8 – 14 (age requirement may vary depending on location of program) with information and support to make informed choices about a range of healthy lifestyle practices. Through non-traditional physical activities complemented with healthy eating support, participants are engaged in life skills, communication, and emotional health discussions designed to engage participants in the pursuit of life-long healthy lifestyles.
The Game On! program consists of seven mentoring sessions, held over an 8-week period, after school within school facilities. Each 2-hour-long session is loosely structured around four themes: physical activity, healthy eating, leadership skills, and respect.
The program strives to do the following:
- Through the lens of healthy living, openly discuss current and pressing issues facing boys and young men
- Build an appreciation for the benefits of healthy eating habits
- Promote physical exercise through the use of non-traditional activities
- Instill respect for socio-economic, ethno-cultural, and racial diversity
- Encourage leadership skills and independent thinking
- Have mentors make a difference while having fun
- Age requirement of participants: 8 – 14.
- Applicant must live in the Township or City of Langley.
- Programs occur at partner school grounds or at local community centres.
- Participants will learn about active living, balanced eating, and positive self-image.
- Participants will commit to attending weekly 2-hour sessions for 8 weeks
- Age requirement: 16+
- Applicant must live, work, or go to school in the Township or City of Langley.
- Volunteers must have a positive attitude towards active living, balanced eating, and positive self-image.
- Applicants must commit to attending weekly 2-hour sessions for 8 weeks