Children who participate in Explorations choose from a list of different topics to explore such as: drawing/sketching, drama, baking, mixed media art, science, etc. Mentors from the Langley community provide a safe and fun atmosphere to assist children in building their skills in their chosen Explorations topic through interactive learning and demonstrations.
Participants will have the opportunity to spend one of the two hours in their chosen Exploration group, enhancing their skills and learning about their chosen topic in a supportive environment, while the remaining hour will be spent in a large group, working on positive group dynamics, making new friendships, and enjoying a snack break!
The program strives to do the following:
- Provide girls and boys with the skills and support they need to learn a new hobby
- Create a positive environment for children to develop new friendships
- Establish healthy and trusting relationships with their mentors
- Provide children with interactive learning sessions in a fun and safe atmosphere
- Promote healthy decision making skills
- Children grades 4 – 7 (age may vary depending on location of program)
- Applicant must live in the Township or City of Langley.
- Programs occur at partner school grounds or at local community centres.
- Participants will learn about active living, balanced eating, and positive self-image.
- Participants will commit to attending weekly 2-hour sessions for 8 weeks
- Age requirement: 16+
- Applicant must live, work, or go to school in the Township or City of Langley.
- Volunteers must have a positive attitude towards active living, balanced eating, and positive self-image.
- Applicants must commit to attending weekly 2-hour sessions for 8 weeks